Tuesday 13 May 2008

Pecking Order

When I respecced back to tank spec, I looked at the past history of my guilds tanks.
We spread the loot evenly, tanks left for other guilds, and then left us in a yoyo loop of climbing back up a hill. We spent a lot of energy gearing ourselves, and sharing the chance of loot with new members of the guild. Only to end up by ourselves again after a few months of progress.
I remember passing on tank gear previously for tanks who are no longer in TDD, and question myself as to why I didn’t even roll for it. Well..hindsight! And that bugged me a lot on the night I decided to respec back to protection. "Was it going to be worth it?"
I have always tanked for TDD, im the GM of the guild, and I have no ambitions to move onto another raiding guild and catch the welfare epic train of "hold on tight this will be a quick run" mode, no thanks, why take my enjoyment of achievement out of the game? I enjoy building a team, helping run a team, and creating an environment where people enjoy working together, and seeing it. That right there is my love of the game.
Something had to change, something had to be more pointed towards those of the guild that remained after the departure of others from TDD. And to recruit new folk to repeat the same process, just puts a sickening taste in my mouth. And so came the pecking order loot system. I wouldn’t want to see loot from bosses that would help us progress a little further in ZA, pass to someone new to the guild compared to a member who has been with us for 1 year + who says "Its ok mate, we can roll for it" and lose, then see them walk out the door for a better offer from a large guild. TDD isnt a big guild and cannot afford the luxury of giving away tools to help it up the chain of raid progression.

That might be a little hard core and in your face, but the day you have to console a guild of 30 people, and encorage them repeatedly to continue on, to keep trying, and keep their hopes up, then you'll have a valid arguement or point of view to say whether it is fair or not.

The DKP system. Well that would work, or wouldnt it? Being a small casual guild that raids, most of its members having RL responsibilities would'nt be able to gain DKP at the same rate as a player who had no outside responisbilities, in a sense, the raider. On one hand you have dedicated members of your guild, and on the other hand you have dedicated raiders looking for progress. And im a little stuck on the system of choice which would be fairer for our small guild. What system would work, a Zero DKP system? im unsure.

However, this looks interesting http://code.google.com/p/epgp/

No comments: