Friday 4 April 2008

Protection to Retribution

I decided to re-instate my blog on blogspot.

My Current Protection Spec

Converting to Retribution 5/11/45

When i began this game i had no idea what a tank was, or what one was used for. I mainly multi tasked between healing a raid on Crossroads and being hard to kill at Astranaar.
As time went on i lost focus in the game as i didnt know what my class was supposed to do, and at level 40-45 i had a crisis of class and character. This was before TBC came out, and Phantas Magoria where working on AQ40 etc etc. There have been many many time i have sat and thought "I should have rolled a warrior!" After TBC came out, i had a bit more uber behind the paladin tank, and a niche of its own. There are things i can do as a paladin a warrior cannot, and some thing a warrior can do, and i cannot... And there lies the compromise. And whether i am happy with that compromise or not, is always a 50/50 sway eitherside, when ever i doubt the paladins available tanking abilities.
The doubt is not about the paladin over all, but more to do with my own thoughts about what i would like to play as a tank, and what tools i would prefer to have as a tank to be able to do what *i* would prefer to do when tanking. The only way i will know the difference to is bring up a warrior and tank with it, to make a comparison between the warrior and paladin, side by side. Its Rage Vs Mana.
My heart ache lies with the availabel gear for the paladin. Its main flaw is theire weapon (Swords) no availablity for a gun with huge stamina, this is replaced by a libram, which adds block and thats it. Where as with a warrior only needs to be concerned with a fast weapon with stamina and aviodance stats like dodge parry and block added to their weapon, paladins have a lean towards spell damage on theirs, and thats a huge sacrifice to have considering other tanking weapons out their without spell damage, there is nothing really specific for a Tank paladin to choose from, other than stealing a Mage/Warlock sword from the drop table. I will try to see if using a warrior tanking weapon seriously reduces my threat or not, but for the meantime, im left hoping Blizzard adds a specific tanking weapon upgrade for the paladin.

Patch 2.4 added some good things with the new faction for paladin tanks. But it wasnt something i was going to scream in excitement about, i was more excited about the 2 handed weapons available. One over riding thought jumps at me when ever i see gear like this is, when is this new expansion coming out? And all the while all this work for tanking gear is squashed on the first day of release as a tank questing is a joke. Wrath is drawing closer and closer, and yes, it would be good to see some more of Karazhan etc, but to be honest about it all, i am not really interested in the progress of the game in instances, but more on the enjoyment of my own character that i have played for 2+ years, and as a tank, im sorry, i starting to lose interest in the tanking role over-all. I had thought about re-rolling another character, but the thought of grinding through all that rep and gear over agian pains me. It really does just put me off. HOwever the paladin can swap between Healer, Tank and DPS.

I always thought and got the impression that Ret paladins where a joke "So to speak". Due to alot of people complaining about the spec being broken and half finished. I have never really tried it out at max levelmyself, and whether i have had the opportunity to or not has never really come about. So im going to try it out, and see for myself and experience it with my own character, geared as recommended by the clever folk on several websites...

I'm still protection atm, and plan to get enough ahead in gear to rival my protection spec, and then make the swap and see how much the game changes, to keep my interest, or not.

1 comment:

Lasitus said...

Hey Nadiastorm,


I'm building an index of WoW information and I've recently added 2 links to NadiaStorm. Each 'Listing' has a link, summary, user rating, as well as spaces for full description and images which are available to website owners.

The initial rating is a default and doesn't reflect any actual review of the site.

You can see a search page of your listings here to get an idea of how the site works:
http://www.worldofwarcraftjunction.com/search/nadiastorm/?ordering=newest&searchphrase=exact&limit=15


Forums are now open and have threads for posting additional link requests for new content, or changes and error fixes in existing listings. You can also email me personally if you have new content you would like listed. Feel free to make my email available to staff but direct users to the forums please.


Though WoW-j has a large and useful amount of information already, it is still young and growing daily. It's future is very much open to discussion or suggestion and any feedback is really appreciated.



Good Luck and Thanks,
Rich 'Lasitus'